Monday, April 29, 2013

The Mickey Mouse Colorforms Set


Sometimes when you're browsing through charity shops for comics you might come across an unusual comics related item. I did just that when I found the Mickey Mouse Colorforms Set (or 'Colourforms', as it would be called here) just over a year ago. Mickey Mouse, although more known as a movie star, is also a very successful comics character, which is why I thought it suitable to show this here.


A typical set-up, except Daisy's arms are on the wrong way round!
So, what are colourforms? Basically they're thin pieces of coloured plastic with various shapes on them, such as a trumpet, a ring and some candles. The characters, with the exception of Pluto, are made up of 4 - 5 different parts - the legs, the arms and the body. As you can see from the photo above, most of my characters are missing a limb or two.


The characters and their toys.

Colourforms are great fun. As advertised on the box, not glue or paste is needed; they stick onto the background "like magic"! You can make just about any set-up you like, and if you had a camera you could probably make a short animation!

I have no idea when this set was made. Going by what this website has I'd assume it was produced in the 70's, but I can't be sure.

All in all though, it's great fun, I'm sure these sets were very popular with kids.



2 comments:

TwoHeadedBoy said...

That's beautiful that is - always nice to see Colorforms, and this is a set I've never seen.

Currently I only have a Bucky O'Hare set, but previously I've had Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet and Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles sets.

George Shiers said...

It's great isn't it! Do you happen to know a more precise date as to when iit could have been made?